For episode 8 of All Out Living, we enjoyed spending time with Manny Vela, Chief Executive Officer and President of Valley Baptist Health System.
Manny Vela, Chief Executive Officer
Valley Baptist Health System
Profile of Success: Manny Vela
Valley Morning Star newspaper www.valleymorningstar.com/news/local_n…df2a80b.html
Leadership Matters: Manny Vela
Valley Business Report
A Conversation with Manny Vela: Business Leader Award 2013
The University of Texas at Brownsville
“It all starts with a dream.” This is what Lucy and Carlos Garza tell us in this episode about their daughter, Gabby. Since the 7th grade, Gabby Garza knew that she wanted to run for an Ivy League. Soon, she will be running track at Cornell University, where she will pursue a Hotel Administration education at the SC Johnson College of Business.
For episode 6 of All Out Living, we joined Mexican cross-country skier, Ironman triathlete, and, most recently, 2018 Winter Olympian, German Madrazo. German, a McAllen, Texas resident and business owner, tells us about how he took up cross-country skiing in 2017 and his experience being the proud Mexico flag-bearer for the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, China.
- German Madrazo Athlete Profile: https://www.olympic.org/pyeongchang-
2018/results/en/cross-country- skiing/athlete-profile- n3098173-german-
- Cross Country Skiing – Winter Olympic Sport: https://www.olympic.org/cross-country-skiing
- Valley Running Company, running specialty store in McAllen, Texas:
- World Triathlon Corporation IRONMAN Official Site: www.ironman.com
For episode 5 of All Out Living, we had the privilege to sit down in Austin with Dr. David L. Lakey, who serves as Vice Chancellor for Health Affairs and Chief Medical Officer at The University of Texas System. Dr. Lakey’s experience as Commissioner of the Texas Department of State Health Services, allowed him to be privy to the various public health issues Texans face every day. In this episode, we discuss with Dr. Lakey the current state of health issues like obesity, diabetes, and general public health.
- David L. Lakey, M.D. bio: https://www.utsystem.edu/offices/health-affairs/david-l-lakey-md
- Recent report by Mission: Readiness, a non-profit organization of retired generals, admirals, and other senior military leaders on young Texans need of regular physical exercise. http://missionreadiness.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/TX-Physical-Activity-Report.pdf
- Brownsville, TX named 2014 Culture of Health Prize Winner by Robert Wood Johnson Foundation https://www.rwjf.org/en/library/articles-and-news/2014/06/coh-prize-brownsville-tx.html
Its hard to appreciate how someone so tough in the UFC Octagon could be such a gentleman. Diego Ferreira introduces us to the world of mixed martial arts and shares how he made it from rural Brazil to the big stage of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. He shares his philosophy on training, raising kids and goal setting.
Despite his condition, Mikey Begum has found passion and success in something he loves-video gaming. Mike was born with Arthrogryposis and Multiple Scoliosis and has virtually no use of his arms and legs. Mikey uses a standard joystick and plays with his cheek and tongue. Mikey’s game of choice is Street Fighter, a game that requires extreme eye-hand coordination and precise timing. He is a world class video gamer, author, and video game tutor. We made the mistake of asking him how he became so good at gaming despite his limitations, but we quickly figured out that Mikey doesn’t believe he has limits.
- Official Evo Website: http://evo.shoryuken.com
- Kyle Maynard is the person I referenced who was born with a similar condition to Mikey, who has gone on to live an “All Out” life. http://kyle-maynard.com
- Train with Mikey: http://www.crosscountertraining.com/brolylegs/
- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/brolylegs
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/Brolylegs
- Buy Mikey’s Book: http://amzn.to/2CelAfV
Abel Gonzalez is a true testament to perseverance. Abel experienced more hardship by the age of 23 than most people do in a lifetime. Abel overcame these challenges to become a highly decorated competitor on NBC’s hit show American Ninja Warrior. It was an honor to spend time with this amazing person. Here are a few notes from our interview for your reference.
- This episode is longer than most: Abel’s story and personal history was so compelling we wanted to share all of it with our listeners:
- Book: The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho;
- Book: Peak: Secrets from the New Science of Expertise by Anders Ericson;
- Book: Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell;
- Book: Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willing and Leif Babin;
- Instagram: #weareallabel
- Facebook; https://www.facebook.com/weareallabel/
- Abel’s brother on Youtube: MAJER Crew
In our premier episode we dive deep into what it takes to be an endurance athlete with the South Texas Iron Man, Jeremy “Ragin’ Cajun” Bergeaux.